Wednesday, July 31, 2013

EC WORKSHOP

A WORKSHOP ON "EC AS A LIFESKILL" WITH A VISION: LEARNING TO THINK IN ENGLISH...by understanding the EC pattern in an easy way!

REQUIREMENTS: A good classroom with a board and chalk/pen

TIME NEEDED: 3 hours

HOW TO TAKE.....DETAILS:

First a question to the audience: What is communication?
In a simple way we can say...it is sharing information or exchange of information.

So now a question: What is an "information"?
It is of four types: STATE, POSSESSION, ACTION and REALITY.
It is also about three time zones: PAST, PRESENT and FUTURE.
So a sentence tells us two things: Type of info and time of info.

Now what is a speech: A collection of statements.
What is an interaction: Asking questions: Yes/No and Wh-questions.

Let us first discuss STATE:
1. I am happy.
2. I was happy.    (Using humour : Ask the participants "when?")
3. I will be happy. (Sprinkling humour : Ask the participants "when?")
4. I have been happy for most of the days in 2012.
(Tell the students about the importance of the word "I")

Next : Yes/No questions and Wh-questions for eg.questions with "Who"

Now let us talk about POSSESSION:
1. You have a good smile.  (Using humour: Ask a participant to smile!)
2. You had a good smile in childhood.  (Using humour: Ask a participant to smile!)
3. You will have a good smile after using this toothpaste.  (Using humour: Ask a participant to smile!)

Next : Yes/No questions and Wh-questions for eg.questions with "Who"

Now let's face REALITY:
1. There are nine people here.
2. There were eight people here.
3. There will be more people here tomrrow as it is a holiday.

Next : Yes/No questions and Wh-questions for eg.questions with "Who"

Now it's time for ACTION:
1. I use a dictionary everyday.
2. I like DC.
3. We are watching Jeevan news tonight.
4. He is listening to cricket commentary on radio.
5. I have talked to a tourist.
6. I have been writing a diary since 2000.
7. I read an interview of Hrithik yesterday.
8. I was reading it in Fimfare.
9. I will speak in English tomorrow.
10. I will be speaking to a Customer Care Executive.

Next : Yes/No questions and Wh-questions for eg.questions with "Who"

PASSIVE VOICE
1. Many people read RD......RD is read by many people.
2. I am reading "Two States" now......Two States is being read by me.
3. We discussed politics yesterday......Politics was discussed by us yesterday.
4. They were presenting a seminar......A seminar was being presented by them.
5. He will do a workshop tomorrow.......A workshop will be done by him.
6. He has given a speech on "Good Health"......A speech on good health has been given by him.

Next : Yes/No questions and Wh-questions for eg.questions with "Who"

MODAL VERBS
Can/Shall/Could/May I sit here?
Would you mind if I sit here?

So in all we have seen a total of 10+10+6+1=27 types of sentences which are the most common in EC.

Games played during the workshop by the participants:
1. Describing the person/Yes-No question game.
2. Combination game.
3.A life story in keywords.

Hope that this article gives you a SPARK to learn/teach EC.


For classes/workshops contact me at my mobile no: 9946 197 449 or send me an sms.

All the best and Best of luck.....May our efforts bring in EC literacy everywhere...v.k


© No Copyright - No rights reserved

No comments:

Post a Comment